Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 90 minutes
3-4 c. mashed potatoes
2 T. canola oil
1 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 pounds ground meat
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 T. all-purpose flour
1 c. chicken broth
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. freshly chopped rosemary leaves
1 tsp. freshly chopped thyme leaves
1 c. frozen mixed vegetables
[For the Pie]
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the sunflower oil into a medium dutch oven and set over medium high heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the onion and sauté just until the onions begin to take on color, ~ 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir to combine.
- Add the ground meat, salt and pepper and cook until browned and cooked through, ~ 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat, continuing to cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken broth, Worcestershire, rosemary, thyme, and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer slowly 10 to 12 minutes or until the sauce is thickened slightly.
- Add the vegetables.
- Top with the mashed potatoes, starting around the edges to create a seal to prevent the mixture from bubbling up and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes or just until the potatoes begin to brown.
- Remove to a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Notes: Used ground beef and beef broth for the test recipe. Worked decently, but not as good as lamb will be. Used ground pork w/ mushrooms. Delicious.